[c-nsp] [j-nsp] NTP Sources placement in MPLS network

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Wed Nov 20 03:00:09 EST 2013

On Wednesday, November 20, 2013 01:01:40 AM Yham wrote:

> Do you really think enabling NTP service on routers can
> burdening them. I mean in hierarchical way where RR and
> directly connected with ntp sources and then all PEs use
> RR as ntp master and CEs further down use PEs as NTP
> master?

Let me put it this way - a router can also act as a DNS
server, a DHCP server, e.t.c.

Not very sure you want your router running these services,
since it's CPU is optimized for things like management
access and routing, i.e., it won't scale well and will hurt
other more critical processes.

But of course, as an American friend of mine would say, I
encourage my competitors to run general-purpose services on
their router CPU's :-).

Mark.