[c-nsp] ME3600x SNMP items for power supplies disappear when PSU is pulled

Waris Sagheer (waris) waris at cisco.com
Wed Oct 2 00:45:27 EDT 2013

ME3600X does send out traps.

Console Log

:

Mar  1 00:34:33.063: %PLATFORM_ENV-6-FRU_PS_OIR: FRU Power Supply  2 Removed

ME3800X#sh env power

POWER SUPPLY 1 is AC OK

   AC Input  : OK

   Output    : OK

   Fan       : OK

POWER SUPPLY 2 is Not Present

Best Regards,

[http://www.cisco.com/web/europe/images/email/signature/horizontal06.jpg]

Waris Sagheer
Technical Marketing Manager
Service Provider Access Group
waris at cisco.com<mailto:waris at cisco.com>
Phone: +1 408 853 6682
Mobile: +1 408 835 1389

CCIE - 19901

<http://www.cisco.com/>

[Think before you print.] Think before you print.

For corporate legal information go to:

From: Saku Ytti <saku at ytti.fi<mailto:saku at ytti.fi>>
Date: Friday, September 13, 2013 11:37 PM
To: "cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net<mailto:cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net>" <cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net<mailto:cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net>>
Subject: Re: [c-nsp] ME3600x SNMP items for power supplies disappear when PSU is pulled

On (2013-09-13 17:21 +0200), Richard Hartmann wrote:

Hi Richard,

If a power supply breaks down, we can read out that fact via SNMP.

This sounds like you're polling.

I pains me how little used SNMP traps are, which to me is the first check
list item (before even ICMP ping) for functional NMS.

I'm not familiar with Whales/ME3k[68] devices, but devices where we have
FRU PSU all send SNMP trap when there is power issue.

It's cheaper (computationally) and faster than polling.

Of course it is solvable by polling, as there is state change, your NMS
just need to know that there once was 2 PSU now only 1 and understand to
raise an alarm for it.

--
  ++ytti