[c-nsp] Possible causes for fiber link flap?

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Oct 9 08:57:47 EDT 2013

On 09/10/13 10:31, Peter Rathlev wrote:

> within tolerances. The total link loss (according to DOM) is 0.6 dB in
> one direction and 2.4 dB in the other direction. Budget should be at
> least around 8 dB.

As others have suggested, this seems like a bad fix to me. How sure of
the OTDR trace are you?

There could be a micro-bend; we've seen similar things where long fibre
runs get fiddled with at some mid-point, and are then very sensitive to
physical movement (as the nudge puts the micro-bend "over the edge").

Or just a plain bad splice!