[c-nsp] ME3600X & A9K L2 Protocol Tunnelling support

Pshem Kowalczyk pshem.k at gmail.com
Wed Oct 30 14:49:19 EDT 2013

Hi Jason,

ME3600 does support tunnelling of l2 control frames on xconnect EVCs,
these are a snippets of config from our network:

 service instance 2020 ethernet
  encapsulation default
  l2protocol tunnel
  service-policy input PM-CUST-DEFAULT-200M-BD-IN
  service-policy output PM-CUST-DEFAULT-200M-OUT
  xconnect 10.123.143.1 134300001 encapsulation mpls
   mtu 9000
 !

 service instance 1602 ethernet
  encapsulation dot1q 1602 second-dot1q 3655
  rewrite ingress tag pop 1 symmetric
  l2protocol tunnel
  service-policy input PM-CUST-DEFAULT-10M-BD-IN
  service-policy output PM-CUST-DEFAULT-10M-OUT
  xconnect 10.123.114.1 144200001 encapsulation mpls
   mtu 9000

We use this if the other side has a layer 2 CPE that does tunnelling
as well. If the customer is directly connected to a PE we normally use
'l2protocol forward'.

kind regards
Pshem