[c-nsp] qos plan - advice please

Tony td_miles at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 2 23:55:29 EDT 2013

Hi Aaron,

As someone else suggested one reason for needing/using QoS is if you are using sub-line-rate links between your core devices.

If you are purchasing a 400Mbps link from a carrier and have it plugged into a 1Gbps interface, then you will need to shape your traffic to 400M to ensure you don't exceed your CIR with the carrier. If your traffic is particularly bursty or you have the potential that it might be, then you will want to have identified your important traffic (eg. usually VoIP type stuff) so that you can ensure it isn't subject to queueing delay by the shaper you have on the interface towards the carrier. You need to be in the position that IF there is anything being discarded or queued then you know what it is, because once it hits the carrier gear, they won't care, it just get discarded down to CIR you have purchased.

Once you get to this point it means that you need to identify/classify the traffic so you can do this. The usual "mark on ingress at the network edge" is often the best approach to this.

If you have a 1G link on a 1G interface which is under-utilised then you will indeed see no real benefit from QoS, assuming of course that you aren't bursting up to the 1G at all, but not seeing this in 5-min averaged traffic.

In regard to testing, much better to test "through" a device, than "to" the same device to ensure you are getting valid results. There are plenty of small/cheap devices around these days (running a *nix OS) that you could easily deploy as remote probes for this kind of testing.

regards,
Tony.