[c-nsp] PRTG OR ZABBIX MONITORING TOOL what is your opinion

Tony td_miles at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 10 06:18:45 EDT 2013

We love PRTG. Only drawback might be that is MS Windows only application (to run the software on, it can monitor anything).

One of the key things we like better than any of the *nix based free alternatives (zabbix, observium, nagios, cacti, etc) is that it's not dependant on the OS scheduling to kick off jobs (ie. collect SNMP stats). This means that if you need to debug something PRTG will monitor at 1 sceond intervals if you want (although not officially supported, it will still do it). This is in contrast to most of the *nix ones that I've seen that are limited to 1 minute intervals from the OS scheduler (cron).

I like that its a tool that does a single job and does it well. It's reasonably priced (although certainly not free) and I've always received good support on any problems I've had with it (can get easy access to the actual devs for the program and the CEO sometimes responds to my support queries !).

I'm sounding a bit like a sales droid, but it's one of the few pieces of software that I've used over the years that I really like. I have absolutely no affiliation with the company that makes it.

regards,
Tony.