[c-nsp] MPLS-TE on ME3600

Eric Van Tol eric at atlantech.net
Wed Sep 11 12:15:48 EDT 2013

Hi all,
I'm a bit confused about the documentation for the ME3600 with regard to its MPLS-TE support.  Specifically, the 'MPLS TE' section (http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/metro/me3600x_3800x/software/release/15.3_3_S/configuration/guide/swmpls.html#wp1183331) states:

The switch does not support these MPLS TE features:
*Interarea TE support for OSPF and IS-IS
*TE path protection

On the first bulletpoint, does this simply mean that it cannot pass through areas without an explicit path set up?

On the second bulletpoint, I'm confused about this because the next section in the documentation deals with Fast Reroute.  Does this bulletpoint mean that the ME3600 cannot provide protection for transit LSPs?

And finally, within the Fast Reroute section, I see this little nugget:

"The switch supports MPLS TE fast reroute over only routed ports and not over SVIs or EtherChannels."

Huh?  Really?

-evt