[c-nsp] ME3600x SNMP items for power supplies disappear when PSU is pulled

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Sat Sep 14 02:37:18 EDT 2013

On (2013-09-13 17:21 +0200), Richard Hartmann wrote:

Hi Richard,

> If a power supply breaks down, we can read out that fact via SNMP.

This sounds like you're polling.

I pains me how little used SNMP traps are, which to me is the first check
list item (before even ICMP ping) for functional NMS.

I'm not familiar with Whales/ME3k[68] devices, but devices where we have
FRU PSU all send SNMP trap when there is power issue.

It's cheaper (computationally) and faster than polling.

Of course it is solvable by polling, as there is state change, your NMS
just need to know that there once was 2 PSU now only 1 and understand to
raise an alarm for it.

--
  ++ytti