[c-nsp] old 6509 trying to drive me insane :-)

Joe Pruett joey at q7.com
Mon Sep 16 19:31:10 EDT 2013

trying to bring ipv6 to an older 6509 system (sup2/msfc2). it currently
runs 12.1. 12.2 has v6 in it, but the image is too big to go into
bootflash. so i grabbed some pcmcia cards and dropped the image on
there. so far so good, but the failover sup2 has too old of a rommon on
it (6.1(4)) and can't see disk0. luckily that is new enough that it can
have new rommon flashed, but the 12.2 images i can get don't support
disk0 either, which seems very odd to me. so i think that maybe it needs
a boot loader. but even worse is that the 12.2 rommon thinks that
bootflash is corrupt. i even tried xmodem'ing the boot image over, but
as usually happens with xmodem, i never got it to fly.

so, i'm hoping someone here can provide one of the following:

1. old 7.1 rommon image i can flash
2. clue about why the newest 12.2 rommon doesn't see disk0 as a dev, and
thinks bootflash is corrupt
3. a way to get cisco to stop making things so complicated :-)