[c-nsp] FabricPath & PIM-SM Interoperation

Yuri Bank yuribank at gmail.com
Tue Sep 17 13:43:33 EDT 2013

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your response.

I should have phrased my question differently. I'm not suggesting that FP
IS-IS actually interacts with PIM-SM directly.

My question is:  Will the FP device, which is running PIM-SM on some SVI,
send PIM Register/Join messages for learned multicast sources/receivers in
the FP domain?

Imagine the following scenario.

You have DeviceA and DeviceB.

DeviceA is a FP switch, with an entire FP domain behind it.
DeviceB is a legacy multilayer switch, or router, with many other L3
devices behind it.

DeviceA has an FP-VLAN with a PIM-SM enabled SVI in it.
DeviceB simply has a layer3 interface (in the above vlan) with PIM-SM
enabled.

Now the RP, sits somewhere behind DeviceB. Obviously, if there is a host
somewhere in the FP network that starts sending multicast traffic, DeviceA
will have to send out a PIM-Register message in order for the RP to learn
of the source(otherwise, only hosts in the FP network would be able to
listen to that traffic). Likewise, if there is a multicast receiver in FP
network, a PIM-Join message would need to make its way to the RP.

Does this make sense? Again, I greatly appreciate your response.

-Yuri Bank