[c-nsp] pseudo rfc 3069 setup

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Sat Sep 21 04:14:28 EDT 2013

On Fri, 2013-09-20 at 14:32 -0700, Joe Pruett wrote:
> 1. put port g#/# in switchport mode, then using vlan# interface with ip
> unnumbered. route to vlan#
> 2. create subint on port g#/# with dot1q native vlan and ip unnumber it.
> route to g#/#.#
> 3. assign fake ip (like 10.#.#.1/30) to base port. route to g#/#
>
> pro/cons:
>
> 1 probably give me the most flexibility, i can provide multiple ports to
> a single customer by putting them all in same vlan. but i wonder if
> processing will be heavier that way having to go through the vlan pseudo
> interface.

The Cat6k platform (6500/7600) uses VLANs internally for everything. So
don't worry about that part.

> and i haven't determined if any of these would have problems with
> shaping. they all seem like full interfaces, so i would expect to be
> able to shape on any of them.

Shaping is not really an option on 6500 LAN cards. Something like the
ES-family of cards might do what you want, but they're a lot more pricey
than LAN cards like WS-X6748-SFP and the like. (You have some very
limited shaping-ish capabilities on LAN-cards but probably not enough.)

> no one may be as crazy as i am and doing anything like this, so feedback
> may be sparse. but, i'm curious if anyone has feelings about which of
> 1-3 would have the least overhead. i don't have enough time available to
> set up a good test between them. they all seem to work, but that's as
> far as i've gotten.

Seems very sensible what you're doing. I'd go for option 1 in your list
though we're not doing this kind of stuff.

What platform do you come from? What supervisor is in your 6509?

--
Peter