[c-nsp] ME3400 high cpu

Michele Bergonzoni bergonz at labs.it
Mon Sep 23 08:05:52 EDT 2013

> are noticing a fairly high CPU load compared what we were used to on the older 3550's.

> It looks like we are punting packets like crazy...

> cpu-queue-frames  retrieved  dropped    invalid    hol-block  stray
> ----------------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ----------
> rpc               0          0          0          0          0
> stp               234154     0          0          0          0
> ipc               0          0          0          0          0
> routing protocol  1871818    0          0          0          0
> L2 protocol       208159     0          0          0          0
> remote console    0          0          0          0          0
> sw forwarding     14959846   0          0          0          0
> host              305132     0          0          0          0
> broadcast         1754197    0          0          0          0
> cbt-to-spt        0          0          0          0          0
> igmp snooping     369150     0          0          0          0
> icmp              731133339  0          0          4          0
> logging           0          0          0          0          0
> rpf-fail          0          0          0          0          0
> dstats            0          0          0          0          0
> cpu heartbeat     2320747    0          0          0          0

I think crazy punting would go into the "sw forwarding" line (and
deliver high latency to your customers), but you appear to have a big
"icmp" line. Maybe you are just generating a lot of ICMP unreachables
for the usual reasons, and maybe this is more difficult for a 3400 than
it is for a 3550.

I would try to "deb plat cpu-queues software-fwd-q" (this is guaranteed
to be a heavy debug for your CPU) to see what kind of packets the CPU is
transmitting/receiving.

I know this is not much but hope this helps somehow.

			Bergonz

--
Ing. Michele Bergonzoni - Laboratori Guglielmo Marconi S.p.a.
Phone:+39-051-6781926 e-mail: bergonz at labs.it
alt.advanced.networks.design.configure.operate