[c-nsp] new Cisco's NCS> ISP flagship router

Phil Bedard philxor at gmail.com
Tue Sep 24 14:14:30 EDT 2013

I think a miss with the box is it comes in a 23" form factor but I guess
if you need an NCS 6000 you probably have space for it. The software stuff
is pretty cool, but I wonder if the complexity is going to come with bugs
in the short term.  They framework is very flexible so I'm interested to
see what advanced things they do with it in the future.   Having the
ability to do a 10x10GE breakout off a CPAK 100G port I've always thought
was cool and a route other vendors should have also pursued.  Some optics
vendors are making those types of optics but it will require router vendor
support.

I like the smaller box, the NCS4000, it kind of 1-ups the PTX3000 which
has half the density (32x100G vs. 16x100G). It won't have the kind of
routing scale though to really be a standalone box, it's more of an LSR if
you purely want to do packet on it.  I like the ability with both of the
boxes can do back-to-back multichassis without much effort.

It took Cisco a long time to come out with this box, those with NDAs have
seen presentations on it for 2+ years now.  Juniper kind of leapfrogged
them with the PTX5K, they have had them shipping for 18 months and have a
ton of them deployed at this point.  By the time the NCS ships (early
2014) CFP2 cards won't be too far behind from other vendors which will
close the 100G gap considerably.

Phil