[c-nsp] switching of monitored traffic

Lee ler762 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 28 11:50:44 EDT 2013

On 9/28/13, Ben Hammadi, Kayssar (NSN - TN/Tunis)
<kayssar.ben_hammadi at nsn.com> wrote:
> Thanks Pavel ,
>
>     We are thinking about this solution to be able to monitor the traffic
> again with more granularity on Switch B since Switch A is 6509 and have a
> max of 2 monitor session . Are you aware about any Cisco platform that don't
> have the limitation of two SPAN session ?

6500s allow up to 14 "egress-only" span sessions:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/configuration/guide/span.html#wp1110714

I've never tried it & there look to be lots 'o caveats, so dunno it it
will meet your needs or no.

And I haven't looked at the documentation in ages -- I don't remember
this caveat:

Use SPAN for troubleshooting. Except in carefully planned topologies,
SPAN consumes too many switch and network resources to enable
permanently.

wrt
>     Does Switch B treat this traffic as normal traffic

pay attention to the note about replicated traffic:
  SPAN copies Layer 2 Ethernet frames, but SPAN does not copy source
trunk port ISL or 802.1Q tags. You can configure destinations as
trunks to send locally tagged traffic to the traffic analyzer.

SPAN has the charming property of being free, but it comes with
caveats.  There are situations where it's worth paying for a tap and
seeing exactly what's on the wire (fiber :)

Regards,
Lee