[c-nsp] IP Options Drop

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Apr 21 12:09:57 EDT 2014

On 21/04/2014 11:47, Saku Ytti wrote:

> Unsure. But you do not any more need 'mls ratelimit' in PFC4, as ACL
> match has been greatly enchanched, IP options being one new
> classification available. So you could police IP options from your
> core looppbacks in separate policer to all other IP options.

Can you expand on this? Currently you can either do "platform
rate-limit" for IP options or disable the RL and use the built-in /
magic CPP class-map:

class-map match-all class-copp-options

(amongst others). But since that class-map has no "match" statement you
can't re-use it's matching logic in another class-map. You could of
course permit all higher up in the CPP policy-map from core loopbacks.
Is this what you mean?

I note N7k w/ M-series linecards has a different class-map syntax which
contains extra "match" statements for the exception status, and
examination of the "sh plat blah tcam" commands suggests the hardware is
capable of it, but it doesn't seem exposed to CLI at the moment except
via the single "magic" class-map per exception type.

As per my recent email on the topic I've had some issues with CPP on
sup2T causing crashes, so my fiddling has been limited. Issue is with
TAC at the moment.

It might be worth noting that the default in sup2T seems to be platform
RLs enabled for:

CEF receive secondary (whatever that is)
glean
ucast IP option
ICMP acl-drop & no-route
RPF failure
ACL VACL log

...and other exception types limited by the default CPP policy. However
there is overlap as the default CPP policy also contains RPF & VACL log
class-maps.

It's a shame sup2T CPP is just as mysterious as sup720 right now, with
little to no documentation of the built-in class-map or implications of
switching between RLs and CPP, or why the overlap is there (accident?).