[c-nsp] ASR-1K and 3rd party sfps

Sander Steffann sander at steffann.nl
Wed Apr 23 06:58:23 EDT 2014

Hi Charles,

> I've been banging my head against this all day.
>
> We have an ASR-1002-X that's been living at home until it goes off to the colo on Friday.  I've been trying to learn all the quirks of the platform and get some of the platform-specific stuff done before bringing in the bulk of the config from the router it's replacing.  In the middle of working on the management port/vrf issues, I decided I should verify some behavior by bringing up the sole copper SFP in the unit (gig 0/0/1 in my case).
>
> The SFP is a 3rd party unit supplied from the same vendor (Level4 Hardware) that sold us the router (router and all sfps are new).  It's identified as an "SFP-GE-T" and the vendor's model # is "GLC-T-L4".  No matter what I try, I cannot get a link up.  I suspected at first that it just didn't want to negotiate with a cheap unmanaged GB switch, so I tried with a spare Mikrotik, a laptop, and a server.  I tried all combinations of the following:

I have an ASR1001 here and ran into the same problem. The ASR1k series does not talk to GLC-T (or GLC-T compatible) transceivers. If you look at http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/interfaces_modules/transceiver_modules/compatibility/matrix/OL_6981.html you'll see that only the SFP-GE-T is listed for the ASR 1000 series and not the GLC-T.

I am using Solid Optics transceivers, and their GLC-T compatible transceiver did not work in exactly the same way you describe. I replaced them with their SFP-GE-T model which works perfectly.

Cheers,
Sander