[c-nsp] Odd problem with N7K and multicast

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Aug 1 05:25:01 EDT 2014

On 31/07/14 21:42, John Neiberger wrote:

> Have any of you seen this before?

I've seen something similar before in an MVPN context; *,g would get
created but s,g would not.

This was on an earlier 5.2 and TAC were able to reproduce on that same
version, but not on later 5.2 so we upgraded and it went away.

When I was fiddling with it I found that "restart pim" and/or "restart
bgp" would sometimes tickle it to work. This made me suspect there was
some internal datastructure that was getting corrupted, presumably by a
bug, causing the s,g triggering process to fail. Maybe this is worth trying?

(FWIW "restart" on NX-OS seems to work really well with very minimal
disruption and fast recovery, for reasonable table sizes)

TBH I've run into a fair few niggles like this, with unicast and
multicast, on N7k. It's a pretty decent platform but there seem to be
some RIB/FIB/state corruption issues lurking in bits of the code. I
wonder if this stems from porting IOS routing protocol code to the very
different NX-OS, or just relative youth of the platform.

Other options that spring to mind - for s,g to trigger the packets must
leak to the SUP, so check CoPP and hw ratelimiters are all configured
correctly and working; an IGMPv3 s,g join obviously sidesteps this.

I would definitely TAC it if you can reproduce, however.