[c-nsp] Prioritize PING traffic to control plane

Dumitru Ciobarcianu cisco-nsp at lnx.ro
Thu Aug 7 04:15:38 EDT 2014

On 07-Aug-14 10:41 AM, Roland Dobbins wrote:

> On Aug 7, 2014, at 2:24 PM, Dumitru Ciobarcianu <cisco-nsp at lnx.ro> wrote:
>
>> I guess because he has some customers (like mine) who use tools like mtr or pingplotter who yell at him that they have latency and/or packet loss
>> and they present a screenshot with only his routers showing this behaviour (the last hop - the destination does not have it) :)
>
> The cure for this is customer education, not making the router more vulnerable to DDoS attacks, either deliberate or unintentional ones.
>
> ;>

Yes, I agree, I was just saying that I think I know his X [1] :)

I like to respond with: "The routers on the way have something better to
do than answer your icmp packets. You can have no packet loss on the
routers or no packet loss on the destination. Your call." Fortunately I
am not the one actually writing to the customers :).

Dumitru

[1] "You're trying to do X, and you thought of solution Y. So you're
asking about solution Y, without even mentioning X. The problem is,
there might be a better solution, but we can't know that unless you
describe what X is."