[c-nsp] Prioritize PING traffic to control plane

Rimestad, Steinar Steinar.Rimestad at altibox.no
Thu Aug 7 10:13:51 EDT 2014

We had one of our customers complaining about a similar issue using
pingplotter/mtr to check for congestion and we tried educating him
regarding this issue as has been mentioned here.

We are using mls rate-limiting for ttl-failures and saw that one of our
7600/PE routers had reached it rate-limiting and increased this from the
default 100/10 to 1000/25 just to shut up the customer.

from
mls rate-limit all ttl-failure 100 10
mls rate-limit all ttl-failure 1000 25

Assuming you are on a Cisco platform and if you have a similar
configuration setup you might be able to increase this without actually
prioritizing this traffic to the control-plane.

Check if you are hitting any limits with:
show mls rate-limit usage
show ip icmp rate-limit

// Steinar