[c-nsp] WS-X6904-40G + FourX: Some SPF+ cause err-disable

Matti Saarinen mjsaarin at cc.helsinki.fi
Fri Aug 15 04:47:19 EDT 2014

Hello,

I was under assumption that serivice unsupported-transceiver would make
all transceivers usable. It seems that is not the case. I tried
installing three different SFP+ optics to an SFP slot of a FourX adapter
connected to WS-X6904-40G. All these attempts resulted in the port
ending up in err-disabled state. The switch runs 15.1(2)SY2 on sup2t.
Logs show following:

%PM_SCP-3-TRANSCEIVER_UNSUPPORTED: Unsupported transceiver in LAN port 4/13
%PM-4-ERR_RECOVER: Attempting to recover from transceiver-incomp err-disable state on Te4/13
%PM-4-ERR_DISABLE: transceiver-incomp error detected on Te4/13, putting Te4/13 in err-disable state
%PM_SCP-3-TRANSCEIVER_UNSUPPORTED: Unsupported transceiver in LAN port 4/13

Is this a known behaviour? Is there any workaround or do I need to buy
more Cisco like SFP+'s? The command "no errdisable detect cause
gbic-invalid" did not help.

Cheers,

Matti