[c-nsp] Galvanic isolation for Ethernet?

Victor Sudakov vas at mpeks.tomsk.su
Mon Aug 18 09:07:40 EDT 2014

Roland Dobbins wrote:

> Something is very wrong, either on the switch or the 'attached
> equipment'.

Please see my reply to Howard Jones.

> Suggest you look into grounding of the devices on each end of the
> connection, as well as PoE status on the ports at each end.

PoE is not used.

> The solution is not in-line Ethernet 'surge suppressors', but rather
> getting the electrical issue resolved.

It is very easy to say 'get the electrical issue resolved' but it is
the case of 'easier said than done'. Some devices cannot be grounded.
Some can, but grounding them at a different grounding point than the
switch itself can be worse than not grounding at all.

After all, surge and ESD protection devices for Ethernet are on the
market for a reason. It seems even a big market, all I ask you
is to recommend a device.

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
sip:sudakov at sibptus.tomsk.ru