[c-nsp] Galvanic isolation for Ethernet?

Victor Sudakov vas at mpeks.tomsk.su
Mon Aug 18 09:19:01 EDT 2014

A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk wrote:

> should never run copper for networks between buildings (and some
> would say ever outside buildings) - thats optic territory. we use
> optical isolation...

In an ideal world, I agree.

In the real world, I am not aware of any official standards,
regulations or building codes that prohibit using Ethernet between
buildings or outside buildings. If you know any, could you please
provide a link.

> but if you really want to
> protect your ports maybe these will help:
>
> http://datainterfaces.com/surge-protectors.aspx

They do not seem to offer galvanic isolation, I think they use gas
discharge modules. How do I know they are any better than those we
already have (APC ProtectNet)?

You are not advising them from your own experience, are you?

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
sip:sudakov at sibptus.tomsk.ru