[c-nsp] Galvanic isolation for Ethernet?

Victor Sudakov vas at mpeks.tomsk.su
Mon Aug 18 12:02:07 EDT 2014

A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk wrote:

> > The choice is really big, Google gives many vendors and a wide range
> > of models of Ethernet protectors.
>
> yes....so why did you originally ask about them? ;-)

Because I hoped to find someone already using them and ready to give
positive or negative feedback about certain models.

[dd]

> this is why running direct copper between 2 buildings that are on
> different grounding potentials etc - and running copper outside a
> building generally - are

It's not like there is some backbone running between buildings as one
might imagine. It's just perimeter protection devices and cameras, and
an occasional data collection PC scattered on the premises. Some of
them are outside and may even go as far as the gates or fence or
whatever.

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
sip:sudakov at sibptus.tomsk.ru