[c-nsp] Old Cisco VXR

SilverTip257 silvertip257 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 12:40:09 EDT 2014

> Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2014 04:42:00 -0400 (EDT)
> From: "Justin M. Streiner" <streiner at cluebyfour.org>
> To: "cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net" <cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net>
> Subject: Re: [c-nsp] Old Cisco VXR
>
> On Wed, 27 Aug 2014, Mohammad Khalil wrote:
>
> > I have old Cisco VXR I need to access with console , but it's not RJ45
> console , it's like the computer ports
> > is there a specific cable to use?
>
> What NPE does the VXR have?  If it has an NPE-G1 or G2, there should
> be an RJ45 console port on the back, on the NPE itself.  The serial I/O
> module on the front is not needed with the G1 or G2 (if I remember

Correct - with G1 or G2s the I/O controller isn't necessary.

With a NPE-G1 or 2 the I/O controller needs to be removed otherwise its
console ports are the ones used by default.

"The console and auxiliary ports on the NPE-G1 are disabled by Cisco IOS
when an I/O controller is present; the console and auxiliary ports on the
I/O controller are active." [0]

> correctly).  Older NPEs (NPE-400 / NSE-1, I think) don't have console
> ports on the processor blade, so the front I/O module is needed.  If

Correct, NPE-150, 225, 300, 400 only have a handle on the back of the blade.

> that's the case, then you need the DB25 DCE to RJ45 connector.  What you
> need beyond that depends on how you are connecting to the VXR's console
> (computer or going through a terminal server).
>

> jms

Th OP needs a DB25 male connector (to RJ-45 female).
 - scroll down to Male DB25 to Female RJ45 adapter [1]
... buy a pre-made one and save yourself the hassle of pushing the pins in
or soldering!

[0]
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/7200/install_and_upgrade/npe-g1_read_me/14025R.html
[1] http://www.networktechinc.com/serial-rj45-adapters.html