[c-nsp] MPLS to Customer (Option B) / Multiple VRFs on CPEs

James Bensley jwbensley at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 10:05:47 EDT 2014

On 26 August 2014 10:26, Saku Ytti <saku at ytti.fi> wrote:
> Personally I think we're missing MPLS option best fit here. Since OptB implies
> you cannot have ACL, QoS or counters per connection. I'd like OptB where you
> could opportunistically create new subinterface, when needed, something like
> this http://p.ip.fi/BQsj.txt

Dare I say it what access/agg layer boxes (such as ME3x00) from Cisco
will perform QoS deeper than one MPLS label?

Is there no product that will look more than one label deep for QoS so
we can have option B peering to CPE with QoS? What I would be looking
for is a box that can look two labels deep for example so we can see
voice class packets irrelevant of the VPN they belong to? At the
inter-AS boundary between SPs that wouldn't be much help but at the
PE-CE AS border its a much smaller scale; we know the link speed, the
VPNs required at each end site, the services and their QoS
requirements etc.

Opt D (Cisco "Opt AB") could be a good tool if you don't need QoS and
ACLs on all VPNs, only creating the hybrid Opt A peerings, breaking
them out from the Opt B link for VPNs that do need QoS/ACL etc but
thats no good if all VPNs require QoS (multi-tenant building with
shared CPE, tenant in each VRF and each run's VOIP for example).

Cheers,
James.