[c-nsp] TCN's - Causing brief outages on ASR1K

Antoine Monnier mrantoinemonnier at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 04:18:04 EST 2014

A TCN will cause all the learned MAC addresses to be flushed by the
switiches, but it will not "block" traffic. So the TCN on its own should
not be the cause of OSPF and LDP flaps.

Is your switch running out of space for all the learned MAC addresses?

 I dont see how enabling "portfast trunk" would help in that scenario (it
should only change the behavior if an interface flaps).
Has the source of TCN being identified? Configuring ports as "portfast"
will lower the probability of generating TCN, that may be why they advised
you to do this. However applying to a port that is stable (no interface
flap) is not really going to help for this specific problem.