[c-nsp] Sup720 - FIB full, software switching

Chris Welti chris.welti at switch.ch
Mon Feb 3 09:25:44 EST 2014

Simple answer: No.
One of the major design errors of the FIB in the Sup720.
Unfortunately, once the FIB is full, the only way to get it back to normal is to restart the whole box.

"CFIB-SP-STBY-7-CFIB_EXCEPTION : FIB TCAM exception, Some entries will be software switched
%CFIB-SP-7-CFIB_EXCEPTION : FIB TCAM exception, Some entries will be software switched
%CFIB-SP-STBY-7-CFIB_EXCEPTION : FIB TCAM exception, Some entries will be software switched

This error message is received when the amount of available space in the TCAM is exceeded. This results in high CPU. This is a FIB TCAM limitation. Once TCAM is full, a flag will be set and FIB TCAM exception is received. This stops from adding new routes to the TCAM. Therefore, everything will be software switched. The removal of routes does not help resume hardware switching. Once the TCAM enters the exception state, the system must be reloaded to get out of that state. You can view if you have hit a FIB TCAM exception with the following command:

6500-2#sh mls cef exception status

Current IPv4 FIB exception state = TRUE

Current IPv6 FIB exception state = FALSE

Current MPLS FIB exception state = FALSE

When the exception state is TRUE, the FIB TCAM has hit an exception.

The maximum routes that can be installed in TCAM is increased by the mls cef maximum-routes command.

This issue is common when trying to route a full BGP table on PFC-3A or a PFC-3B.

**Note a failover of the supervisors in dual supervisor system will not recover this exception, even through the “show mls cef exception status” will no longer indicate a FIB exception.  A full reload of the switch is required. "

Regards,
Chris