[c-nsp] Sup2T 15.1(SY1) inline packet traffic crash

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Wed Feb 5 23:14:35 EST 2014

On Thursday, February 06, 2014 04:06:39 AM Dobbins, Roland
wrote:

> Hopefully, this has been reported to PSIRT?

It would be interesting to know whether the switches were
running NSR for some or all protocols, to get a feeling for
whether the failure cascading from one RP to the other was
partially due to that.

I can't find definitive information on the current state of
state replication technology with Cisco, but I know that
with Juniper on current code on the MX, state is not
replicated between RE's, but rather, the main RE proxies
protocol state machines to the backup RE and only when the
backup RE is "ESTABLISHED" (again, by proxy via the main RE)
does the main RE also establish with its neighbor. So state
isn't simply replicated, to avoid bug related cascades.

Mark.