[c-nsp] Unified MPLS - Discrete area or separate IGP in Access Layer

Pshem Kowalczyk pshem.k at gmail.com
Thu Feb 6 16:51:50 EST 2014

Hi,

In our case (national network + regional metros, that split into
multiple 'areas') we initially deployed 2 levels of ISIS. What we
discovered that if a single 'core' node has to provide connectivity to
multiple 'access' areas the L1 area becomes continuous and spills the
routes (ISIS doesn't have a separate database per area like OSPF, only
one per level). Since we have asr901s in those access domains and
provide 'fast re-convergence' we have to keep the size of the routing
table in individual access domain minimal. As a result - we moved to
ISIS L2 on the core and separate OSPF process for each 'access'
domain, with different areas for each access domain. We keep the areas
as total stubs and filter out the default route on each router. We
could use a separate ISIS process for each access domain but decided
that it would be more complicated that way.

kind regards
Pshem