[c-nsp] understanding BFD "echo mode"

Dimitris Befas dimitris.befas at gmail.com
Fri Feb 7 10:03:26 EST 2014

Hi Martin,

Exactly. Both modes (control & echo) are used when using the echo mode. The
hardware handled echo packets are not eligible to remote cpu fluctuations
because of the fact that we use the actual remote forwarding router
mechanism. So you have more reliable and fast failure detection with echo
mode.
Farther, because with echo mode you actually use control (or asycnhronous)
mode also, you may configure the slow timer to slow down the probable
reaction of the control bfd packets and the cpu load that these packets
intoduce.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/6_x/nx-os/interfaces/
configuration/guide/if_bfd.pdf
page 3