[c-nsp] wisdom of switchport block ...

András Tóth diosbejgli at gmail.com
Mon Feb 10 15:25:24 EST 2014

Hi,

Let's not forget STP topology change notifications (TCNs) because they'll
cause the MAC address entries to age out in forward-delay (15 sec) or even
immediately with Rapid-STP. A STP topology change is observed (and TCN
generated) when a non-edge (non-portfast) port goes either from Forwarding
to Blocking or from Blocking to Forwarding. With RSTP non-edge port moving
to Forwarding will generate TCNs.

This can lead to hosts becoming unreachable with unicast blocking even with
a carefully chosen ARP aging timer.

Regards,
Andras