[c-nsp] Offering bgp services from the L3 access edge with relatively low-spec devices using bgp selective route download ?

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Mon Feb 10 15:48:30 EST 2014

On Monday, February 10, 2014 09:01:35 PM Spyros Kakaroukas
wrote:

> It’s going to take a bit more labbing before we decide
> whether we want to actually implement this or not, but
> it seemed like an interesting idea so I thought I’d
> share.
>
> Feedback would be appreciated!

I recommend this approach.

I was working with SPAG and they had some really good test
results of running BGP-SD on the ME3800X. There shouldn't be
much difference in expectations for the ME3600X (I think
they both have 2GB RAM).

So yes, use BGP-SD to receive the full feed, but keep it
away from the FIB. Forward these on to downstream customers
to handle the control plane.

Have 0/0 and ::/0 programmed into the FIB to handle the data
plane.

The only think to look out for is CPU utilization during
route churn and link flaps, as well as growth of the BGP
tables and its effect on RAM. Keeping an eye on software and
how it's optimized for BGP route processing is also
something to consider as you upgrade/downgrade software
during the lifetime of the system.

Not having to run eBGP Multi-Hop for customers that require
a full BGP feed is a huge win.

Mark.