[c-nsp] 7200VXR to ASR upgrade

Lukas Tribus luky-37 at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 18 18:47:02 EST 2014

Hi,

> We have a customer running an old 7204VXR/NPE-G1, with (4) gigabit
> interfaces, and BGP with two upstream carriers. They are upgrading from 100M
> carrier links to 1G, and may be looking at getting full routes from both
> carriers soon, as well as implementing OSPF on the inside.
>

> Rather than invest in a new processor for their old hardware, they want to
> move to the ASR platform. They may keep the 7204VXR/NPE-G1 for redundancy
> for a while, until they can afford getting a second ASR. I assume the two
> routers should play nice with each other.
>

>>From what I'm seeing, the ASR1002-X looks to be the simplest and most
> versatile / scalable option for them right out of the gate. Based on their
> need for BGP/OSPF, I would say they need an Advanced IP Services license.
> Does that sound right?

Just a word on RAM usage:

ASR1002-X is a 64bit platform; if you need the full routing table, than
really get 8GB RAM (same is valid for ASR1004+/RP2).

ASR1002 (RP1) is a 32bit platform, max RAM is 4GB RAM, which may be enough
for the full routing table (because 32bit platforms are more efficient when
allocating memory). In fact I have 3x ASR1002/RP1/4GB running the full table
in a MPLS VPN here.

I'm currently trying to clarify whether the latter is a supported
configuration (or if TAC will deny support when I hit the first memory leak).

Regards,

Lukas