[c-nsp] ARP on ASR9k 4.3.2

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Tue Feb 18 22:17:33 EST 2014

On Tuesday, February 18, 2014 10:47:39 PM Charles Sprickman
wrote:

> We looked at Juniper as well, and honestly, their
> licensing seemed fairly opaque as well.

Juniper's licensing isn't any better, on the MX anyway.

You have to pay for licenses to support a full table, l3vpn,
e.t.c.

The vendor's position is that rather than build various
hardware iterations to fit different budgets, build one
piece of hardware and customers can pay-as-you-grow.

Up to now, I've never been convinced by such a policy. Some
licenses I'm willing to pay, most, I'm not. Why would I pay
for holding a full scale BGP table if I'm buying the
hardware for that very reason?

It's like buying a cheese burger and then requiring a
license to eat it.

Mark.