[c-nsp] 7200VXR to ASR upgrade

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Wed Feb 19 11:09:18 EST 2014

On Wednesday, February 19, 2014 04:12:50 PM Aled Morris
wrote:

> I don't disagree with this, but I'd like to emphasise
> Jeremy's subsequent remarks regarding the fact the ASR1k
> is really a great Nx1GE platform, but not one you'd
> deploy if you needed multiple 10GE interfaces.

To be honest, I'm not so sure anymore.

If I'm looking for Nx 1Gbps ports for a reasonable cost (and
that can be supported by a meaty 10Gbps uplink) in a small-
sized form factor, I'll probably look at the ASR9001 or
MX80. At least, then, I know that should I run out of need
for 1Gbps service, 10Gbps won't necessarily cost me that
much more to deploy in the same chassis.

For me, I look at the ASR1000 (and MX104) as great
aggregation for SDH capacity with 2x 10Gbps Ethernet
uplinks.

Mark.