[c-nsp] replace Huawei HG863 GPON terminal with Cisco gear

Martin T m4rtntns at gmail.com
Thu Feb 27 15:57:02 EST 2014

Hi,

my ISP provides FTTH using G-PON technology on the last-mile. They install
Huawei HG863 G-PON terminal at the end-customer premises. I would like to
replace this Huawei ONT with GPON SFP/GBIC in Cisco L3 switch. This Huawei
HG863 uses HPSF2120 optical transceiver(
http://s27.postimg.org/n1glc91sh/Huawei_HG863.jpg). This should be easily
replaceable with for example
http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/1310-1490nm-20km-gpon-ont-sfp_1619088414.html
However,
my Huawei HG863 G-PON terminal is registered by optical line terminal(OLT)
only if serial number configured in HG863 is unchanged. One can change it
under HG863 CLI with "setsn" command. If I change the SN, my ONT is not
registered. According to spec of HG863, it supports SN, password or
SN+password authentication methods. I guess my ISP is authenticating by
serial-number only? I looked around fairly deeply in this operating system
on this ONT, but I did not find a way to change/view any password. Maybe
firmware release on my HG863 does not support it.. However, is it usually
possible to insert this serial number(16 hex characters) to GPON ONT
SFP/GBIC? I have no experience with such SFP/GBIC transceivers.. Or are
there IOS releases available for certain platforms, which allow one to
specify serial-number for GPON SFP under IOS?
Last thing I'm concerned about is that usually downstream traffic from OLT
to ONT is encrypted? I did not find any chips dedicated to decryption in my
HG863(http://s27.postimg.org/n1glc91sh/Huawei_HG863.jpg). In addition, any
of the processes running on the device do not indicated to encryption:

HG863>ps
  PID  Uid     VmSize Stat Command
1 root        284 S   init
2 root            SWN [ksoftirqd/0]
3 root            SW< [events/0]
4 root            SW< [khelper]
5 root            SW< [kthread]
25 root            SW< [kblockd/0]
26 root            SW< [cqueue/0]
27 root            SW< [kseriod]
39 root            SW  [pdflush]
40 root            SW  [pdflush]
41 root            SW< [kswapd0]
42 root            SW< [aio/0]
117 root            SW< [hidog]
151 root            SW  [mtdblockd]
172 root        144 S   init
173 root        288 S   /bin/sh /etc/init.d/rcS
224 root        240 S < /sbin/udevd --daemon
360 root        432 S   mc
362 root        432 S   mc
363 root        432 S   mc
364 root        344 S   /bin/msg msg
365 root        552 S   /bin/log
366 root        412 S   /bin/klog
367 root        552 S   /bin/log
368 root        552 S   /bin/log
369 root        964 S   /bin/dbase
370 root       1536 S   /bin/web
371 root       1536 S   /bin/web
372 root       1536 S   /bin/web
373 root       1372 S   /bin/cli
374 root       1372 S   /bin/cli
375 root       1372 S   /bin/cli
376 root       1372 S   /bin/cli
377 root       1372 S   /bin/cli
378 root       1372 S   /bin/cli
379 root       1372 S   /bin/cli
380 root        820 S   /bin/cms
381 root       2152 S   /bin/omci
385 root        408 S   monitor
386 root       2152 S < /bin/omci
387 root       2152 D < /bin/omci
388 root       2152 S < /bin/omci
393 root        204 S   watchdog
395 root       2152 S < /bin/omci
396 root       2152 S < /bin/omci
397 root       2152 S < /bin/omci
398 root       2152 S < /bin/omci
399 root       2152 S < /bin/omci
408 root            SW  [kgontregd]
413 root        304 S   /bin/sh
414 root       2152 S < /bin/omci
415 root       2152 S < /bin/omci
417 root       1372 S   /bin/cli
436 root        272 S   sh -c ps >/tmp/cli
437 root        264 R   ps

HG863>

Maybe my ISP does not use encryption on traffic from OLT to ONT..

In summary, is it even technically possible to replace ONT installed by my
ISP with a Cisco gear?

PS: if any additional information is needed, then please ask!

regards,
Martin