[c-nsp] 6PE FIB usage on 6500/7600

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Jan 2 05:08:12 EST 2014

On 02/01/14 10:01, Mark Tinka wrote:
> On Thursday, January 02, 2014 11:51:50 AM Phil Mayers wrote:
>
>> Sure, but that's labelled v4. 6PE is not just a straight
>> translation of the same concepts because the labels are
>> advertised in BGP to permit a v6-free, MPLS-only core.
>
> Probably why I'm not keen to support l3vpnv6 until we can
> natively signal MPLS control planes for/over IPv6.

6vPE is IMO a slightly different beast, because the v4/v6 variants are
much closer. The use of v4 loopbacks in 6vPE next hops is a bit odd to
be sure, but it's not a fundamentally different traffic forwarding
paradigm as with 6PE.

That said, I agree that LDPv6 and friends would be good to have; one
assumes big providers would be keen to run 4vPE and have v4-free cores
to save on address space without using 10/8 for p2p links.