[c-nsp] rate limit dns

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Thu Jan 2 08:09:44 EST 2014

Hi,

On Thu, Jan 02, 2014 at 11:22:50AM +0200, Eugeniu Patrascu wrote:
> FWIW, if you run your customers recursive resolvers on a Linux/*BSD box you
> can setup iptables/pf in such a way that you only allow queries from
> customers and from your resolver to the internet in a stateful way and deny
> unrelated incoming "responses" and still have the same performance levels.

I would strongly recommend *against* doing stateful anything in front of
a DNS server.  It won't serve a useful function (as unbound etc. are
quite good in recognizing "real" responses vs. "fake"), but serves as
an additional chokepoint which might run into overload far before your
servers die.

I've been there :-) (FreeBSD, unbound, using pf(4) firewalling with state)
and the stateful firewalling about doubled the CPU load on the system.

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de