[c-nsp] 6PE FIB usage on 6500/7600

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Thu Jan 2 10:27:09 EST 2014

On Thursday, January 02, 2014 03:50:46 PM Tarko Tikan wrote:

> What about QOS? MPLS EXP is a great way to carry QOS
> markings without overriding TOS/DSCP/TC sent, seen and
> used by customers.

So we support only DSCP and EXP. We don't generally perform
QoS on IPP.

For IP traffic, we trust DSCP values that come from Managed
Service customers, i.e., we can vouch for the customer's QoS
configuration on their end.

We "can" trust DSCP values from customers that "know what
they're doing", but deciding this is not always scientific.
At any rate, customer- and core-facing ports are reasonably
over-engineered such that if trusted customers were naughty
enough to place unimportant traffic in important queues over
an unscientifically trusted port, they'd only be hurting
themselves and not other customers.

For non-IP traffic (Ethernet, really), we don't care what TC
IP markings customer packets come with. We only mark with
EXP for core handling. So whatever TC values they send
across are preserved (this wasn't always the case when "mls
qos" was enabled on older Cisco switches, for example).

For untrusted customer ports, we apply our own DSCP values.
We also apply explicit EXP values to avoid the automated
copying of the first 3 bits of the DSCP value to the EXP
field (most annoying, but understandable).

Mark.