[c-nsp] DHCPv6

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Sun Jan 5 10:44:32 EST 2014

On Sun, 5 Jan 2014, Eugeniu Patrascu wrote:

>> So?  Nobody said "ipv6 address autoconfig" would use DHCPv6 for that.
>
> Clarifying that that DHCP in IPv6 works differently than DHCP in  IPv4.
> I think that the OP and also another person were under the impression that
> they can get a default from the DHCP server.

DHCPv6 does not currently provide a default route to clients.  There has
been a fairly spirited argument on the NANOG list re: whether the decision
not to include an option for setting a default route via DHCPv6 was right
or wrong.

My personal opinion is that this feature should have been part of DHCPv6
from the very beginning - for the sake of feature parity between DHCPv4
and DHCPv6 - but I was not a part of those discussions.

jms