[c-nsp] DHCPv6

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Mon Jan 6 05:01:40 EST 2014

On Monday, January 06, 2014 09:44:28 AM Gert Doering wrote:

> "Just because it is done that way in IPv4" is a very poor
> reason for anything.  *And* it's the political
> discussion that is really happening on all the lists,
> all the time, about 15 years after it *should* have
> happened.

Frankly, expect more of this in coming months/years.

The majority of network operators don't follow what happens
in the IETF. Even more don't follow what the equipment
vendors do, and just hope that when it comes time for them
to deploy a feature, it will Just Work.

Given DHCP is such an enterprise/home feature as well,
expect this to get worse as many enterprise networkers don't
follow anything beyond what's on their desk.

We might need to find a better to let the operational
community know about this nasty surprise. That or get the
Router option enabled in DHCPv6.

Mark.