[c-nsp] Cisco 4948 default IPv6 RA Behavior

John Neiberger jneiberger at gmail.com
Tue Jan 7 11:47:20 EST 2014

I have a 4948 running 12.2(53)SG2 connected via trunk to an upstream
router. I need to do some testing (long, unrelated story) because
we're having some IPv6-related issues with devices in a certain VLAN
on that switch. I can't test to a production server, so I was thinking
about adding an IPv6 address to the SVI for that VLAN on the switch.
The switch currently does not have an SVI for that VLAN since the
upstream router is doing the router. I just want the switch to be an
IPv6 host on that subnet. My concern is that I don't want the switch
to start acting like a router, e.g. sending Router Advertisements.
That would be a bad thing.

The documentation for 12.2(53)SG2 doesn't even mention IPv6 but the
commands are there. What would be the best (safest) way to do this?
Should I configure "ipv6 nd ra suppress" and then configure an IPv6
address on the SVI?

It's sad that I'm so wary of this but this is a production vlan and I
don't want hosts on that switch to suddenly think the switch SVI is a
default router. I'm probably over-thinking it, but better safe than
sorry. I'm still trying to get a handle on first hop issues and FHRPs
in IPv6 and have to say that the landscape is a little confusing.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
John