[c-nsp] Cisco 4948 default IPv6 RA Behavior

Enno Rey erey at ernw.de
Tue Jan 7 12:15:28 EST 2014

Hi,

as long as you don't enable "ipv6 unicast-routing" it shouldn't send out any RAs anyway.
this is at least what I've seen on all Cisco devices so far.

best

Enno

On Tue, Jan 07, 2014 at 09:47:20AM -0700, John Neiberger wrote:
> I have a 4948 running 12.2(53)SG2 connected via trunk to an upstream
> router. I need to do some testing (long, unrelated story) because
> we're having some IPv6-related issues with devices in a certain VLAN
> on that switch. I can't test to a production server, so I was thinking
> about adding an IPv6 address to the SVI for that VLAN on the switch.
> The switch currently does not have an SVI for that VLAN since the
> upstream router is doing the router. I just want the switch to be an
> IPv6 host on that subnet. My concern is that I don't want the switch
> to start acting like a router, e.g. sending Router Advertisements.
> That would be a bad thing.
>
> The documentation for 12.2(53)SG2 doesn't even mention IPv6 but the
> commands are there. What would be the best (safest) way to do this?
> Should I configure "ipv6 nd ra suppress" and then configure an IPv6
> address on the SVI?
>
> It's sad that I'm so wary of this but this is a production vlan and I
> don't want hosts on that switch to suddenly think the switch SVI is a
> default router. I'm probably over-thinking it, but better safe than
> sorry. I'm still trying to get a handle on first hop issues and FHRPs
> in IPv6 and have to say that the landscape is a little confusing.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
> John

Enno Rey

ERNW GmbH - Carl-Bosch-Str. 4 - 69115 Heidelberg - www.ernw.de
Tel. +49 6221 480390 - Fax 6221 419008 - Cell +49 173 6745902

Handelsregister Mannheim: HRB 337135
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Enno Rey