[c-nsp] Re-licensing secondhand Cisco equipment

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Tue Jan 7 14:37:19 EST 2014

On Tuesday, January 07, 2014 07:33:24 PM scott owens wrote:

> It really depends I think on the level of technology you
> are looking for - Nexus 7K, 6800 ... gotta go with
> Cisco.
> 6500, 2960s, 3850/ ... you can pick up in alternate
> market.

Agree, the grey market won't help you for modern devices,
simply because they're too new, and any sellers on eBay and
friends will just be pushing product at the same price as
you'd get them from official channel partners.

CRS, ASR9000, ASR1000, Nexus, the new ISR routers, the new
brand of switches, e.t.c., are out of the question.

> Haveing said that ... Cisco supposedly does have a refurb
> market themselves but most of the time  they did not
> have the POE line cards we were looking for.

They call this "Cisco Remarket". It's like selling a car to
someone else two minutes after it leaves the showroom. As a
buyer you get a discount, but you're better off buying a new
unit yourself.

Mark.