[c-nsp] SPAN destination on oversubscribed module

Lukas Tribus luky-37 at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 9 10:14:22 EST 2014

Hi,

> Dears ,
>
> We have two 6509 interconnected via port-channel of two 10Ge port
> carrying about 3Gb. the module used is WS-X6716-10T and only the
> two mentioned port are used on this module for the moment . We are
> now adding a monitoring probe that will be connected on this module,
> the estimated monitored traffic is about 8Gb . Since this module has
> an oversubscription rate of 4:1 , i need to check:
>
> * On witch port it is recommended to connect the new probe without
>   affecting the port channel
> * can one port on this module reach 8Gb of monitored traffic
> * the monitored traffic will be added to the actual Swicth load or it
>   is transparent ?

I suggest you read [1], which explains everything. Enable performance mode
if you are concerned about oversubscribtion or just make sure to only use
one port per port-group.

And yes, SPAN traffic has the same cost that normal traffic has.

Regards,

Lukas

[1] http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps708/qa_cisco_catalyst_6500_series_16port_10gigabit_ethernet_module.html