[c-nsp] SPAN destination on oversubscribed module

John Neiberger jneiberger at gmail.com
Thu Jan 9 11:14:37 EST 2014

On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 7:47 AM, Ben Hammadi, Kayssar (NSN - TN/Tunis)
<kayssar.ben_hammadi at nsn.com> wrote:
> WS-X6716-10T

I presume that this module uses Janus ASICs for replication. If so,
keep in mind that this chip doesn't have a huge amount of replication
capacity. The ingress Janus chip is responsible for replicating
traffic for ingress SPANs, so you're effectively doubling the load on
the chip if you add a single SPAN. If you have a lot of traffic or if
you ever do something insane like adding yet another SPAN on the same
chip, you'll start dropping traffic internally on the linecard in a
way that is very hard to find unless you know what to look for. If it
were me, I'd stay away from permanent SPANs on 10gig interfaces on
this platform and do something else, like a tap.

John