[c-nsp] Re-licensing secondhand Cisco equipment

John Elliot johnelliot67 at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 9 19:32:26 EST 2014

> Hi,
>
> > So, just to clarify - You can purchase refurb/secondhand Cisco kit and then purchase a smartnet contract for software access/updates(And also hardware replacement)?
>
> Maybe, but Cisco is going to charge you a lot of money for that.

More money than purchasing new?   Smartnet on a secondhand vs new is the same price?

> > But you cant purchase (legally) refurb/secondhand kit and use it with the software running on it?
>
> In the EU you can always legally use the software that came with the hardware. In other parts of the world you will probably have to pay. This is based on the following pages on cisco.com:
>
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/hw_sw_relicensing_program.html:
>
> > - The embedded Cisco software that runs on the hardware—as well as Cisco standalone software—is not transferable. If you purchase used or secondary-market Cisco equipment, you must acquire a new license from Cisco before the software can be used.
> >
> > - Used and secondary-market equipment is not covered under the Cisco standard warranty, and you cannot place it under a Cisco service and support contract unless it is re-licensed by Cisco and has passed an inspection by Cisco

We have occasionally purchased secondhand kit out of necessity (Disty's have no stock available - CE equipment..800 series etc), and we were able to smartnet them without issue, and also without being "re-licensed" or being inspected....Is this deemed illegal by Cisco even though they smartnet the unit based on serial numbers?

This is a complete minefield!