[c-nsp] Weird problem with 2960S and desktop switch

Garry gkg at gmx.de
Fri Jan 10 09:14:32 EST 2014

Just a followup on this problem ... I was on site, and it turns out the
desktop switch indeed tried to take over as root bridge of the STP.
Anyway, even when filtering the BPDUs on the incoming port, the main
switch still ceased doing any network forwarding, not sure what was
going on exactly. Anyway, replacing the switch with an identical one
(apart from not knowing what's configured on it) fixed the problem for
whatever reason. Weird thing about the root bridge is, the existing main
switch already used the higher priority, so even considering lower MAC
address, the main switch should have remained being the root bridge, as
the desktop switch was elected with default priority ...
We will look into the config of the desktop switch in our lab, possibly
finding out what is wrong here ... for now the customer site is at least
working as intended ...

Tnx to all who replied with their thoughts and ideas ...

-garry