[c-nsp] 2960S vlan ACL eating some L2 transit packets!?

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Tue Jan 14 03:52:36 EST 2014

On Monday, January 13, 2014 11:03:22 PM Gert Doering wrote:

> Well, I had the assumption that it could be flooded
> packets due to missing MAC table entries, but since I've
> seen the same IP address logged both as source and
> destination, I'm fairly sure there is no flooding going
> on...

I have seen this issue before, where an ME3600X acting as a
pure Layer 2 switch had VLAN ACL's to protect the control
plane, but traffic (specifically 10/8 traffic which was
MPLS-switched by adjacent routers) was being dropped by the
switch when the ACL had 10/8 included.

Removing the 10/8 ACE or removing the ACL entirely fixed the
issue.

Traffic between the switch and adjacent router was Layer 2,
so it came as a surprise when the switch was acting on the
payload in the Ethernet frames, using an ACL that was
attached to an SVI used for management.

I recall opening a case with Cisco, but I left that company
and never did quite follow-up.

Mark.