[c-nsp] Memory testing

Chuck Church chuckchurch at gmail.com
Thu Jan 16 17:15:50 EST 2014

Anyone,

                Got a 3845 with a gig of RAM that has been crashing with a
memory parity error.  Got some replacement memory on the way.  The funny
part is the router was fine while we were burning it in for a few days.  I'm
not sure if the traffic passing through or the memory usage from the full
table is causing the crashing that didn't show up with the router 'just
sitting there turned on'.  I'd like to test this thoroughly with the
replacement memory in there to make sure it's not the chassis itself.
Thinking of giving it an iBGP session to another router to get a full table
and let it sit for a few days, and then swap the memory modules around (slot
0 move to slot 1, slot 1 move to slot 0) so in theory all memory cells get
'touched'.  Anyone see a hole in this theory, or have a better idea?  Router
is out of Smartnet by the way.

Thanks,

Chuck